My mind has already been on 2023. As we prepare for the final months of 2022, it is time to ask yourself: what can I do better with my marketing next year? What did my marketing efforts of 2022 actually accomplish? I ask myself, and my clients, all of these questions as I sit down to prepare what I plan to take on for my marketing content for 2023.
Even though so much has changed in how we run our businesses, we still need to organize our marketing content. We are still seeing less people getting out and about – so your marketing strategy absolutely must include a way to get your face in front of your prospective audience. The best way to do that is to get yourself a video marketing strategy. One of the first things I hear my clients fuss about is: what am I going to talk about?
First step: Get a calendar together. I prefer to keep things simple. I have a very simple spreadsheet that outlines the twelve months of the year and I brainstorm different events or anniversaries that make sense for me to comment on. It is basically a “big picture” approach about the kind of content I feel would be relevant to my readers and clients. I take that information and formulate the various blog posts I want to write about that make sense with certain times of year. I am always open to move topics around to adjust to current events and moments in time that have events where the need for a little shuffling is in order. Always remain flexible and have the ability to capitalize on current events.
If you are not into spreadsheets or documents, another great place to organize your calendar is on Trello. I have mentioned Trello in the past. It is a FABULOUS online tool that multiple people can log onto and all of your team members can brainstorm content for the following year. This is a great one if you have a team so you can all be aware of what is going on in real time.
A lot of my clients – and other business owners – like to put their topics and ideas on their actual calendar. Having your due dates in front of you when you can glance at it and prepare for it weeks in advance allows you to prepare for it so you are not running around at the eleventh hour trying to meet a deadline. You can either color code your online calendar, but quite often it is even very useful to do it the old fashioned way – with post its and stickers! Whatever works for you – do it!
But what does one do when they sit down to a calendar and come up with nothing but a blank piece of paper? One resource is from the fine folks a WeVideo entitled 30 Quick And Easy Video Marketing Ideas.
And if that doesn’t do it for you – here are some of my suggestions!
1. Google alerts – setting an alert with some of your industry’s key words. This can give you an endless supply.
2. Riff on a popular post. Post your reaction and thoughts to a popular blogger’s thoughts, someone else’s video that has gone viral, or any hot topic that can get people talking about your business.
3. Look everywhere for inspiration. Check out YouTube videos, podcasts, or one of MY personal favorites: watch some TV for inspiration. Shark Tank is one of my favorites!
4. Do an interview. Do you have a favorite person you like to follow online or connect with at networking groups? The answer is no unless you ask them for an interview! I am sure they won’t mind the free publicity!
5. Take an entire day off. I love this one. Recharge your brain for a whole day by doing something you love. Go focus on your hobby and enjoy yourself. Giving your brain a break may be just what you need!
6. Do a product review. Is there something in your business you use every day that you just LOVE? Write about it and spread the love with your readers! This is the time of year people are doing product reviews in anticipation for the holidays – why not you?
7. Recruit a guest. When all else fails, call for back up! Schedule an interview of someone you respect that you can feature in your video marketing. Make sure their content is what your readers are looking for and it makes sense with the overall feel of your message. But don’t get lazy and rely on them every month!
Lastly, you will want to set some sort of alert and an accountability system in place so this task actually gets completed. If alarms work for you, wonderful. If you need an accountability partner to make sure it gets done, then set that up. You will be amazed how much you get done when someone else is watching!
Let’s all take 2023 by the horns and show it who is boss! Contact me if you need some help.